Saturday, May 2, 2015

Saturday Music Club: some country music

for my parents, who have liked their country music sparingly:

Glenn Campbell: "I'm Not Gonna Miss You"


X: "Dancing with Tears in My Eyes"


June Carter and Johnny Cash: "You Are My Sunshine"


Ray Charles & the Raelettes: "I Can't Stop Loving You"


Carl Perkins: "Blue Suede Shoes"; Johnny Cash: "I Walk the Line"; Patsy Cline: "I've Loved and Lost Again" on Ranch Party (1957, hosted by Tex Ritter)


Loretta Lynn and Sissy Spacek: "You Ain't Woman Enough to Take My Man"


Glenn Campbell: "Wichita Lineman"


The Weavers: "Sixteen Tons"



2 comments:

Prashant Trikannad said...

t's years since I heard Johnny Cash and Ray Charles though I did see the movie based on the latter's life. Not very familiar with Blues music.

Todd Mason said...

Well, Ray Charles did a lot of things, but not much straightforward blues. His first recordings were mostly jazz, and he branched out into a kind of heavily gospel-influenced rock and rhythm and blues that was dubbed "soul music", in which such former gospel stars as Aretha Franklin and Sam Cooke also worked...and Charles loved and began recording country music in the earliest 1960s, and had some of his biggest commercial success there.